In a world that seems to throw curveballs at its people with devastating natural disasters, unpredictable weather, and a pandemic to top it off, it is important to create an emergency preparedness plan. Knowing the potential for danger, developing a plan, and obtaining an emergency survival kit can be the difference between life and death.
What are the three main actions for emergency preparedness?
1. Understand the Risks
There are a lot of unpredictable factors that can happen in an emergency, but knowing the risks can help you to prepare for the worst. In Canada, some hazards can come up such as floods, earthquakes in some provinces, blizzards, power outages etc. Whether you are at home or work, it is important to take safety measures for disaster management.
2. Make an Emergency Preparedness Plan
Spending a short amount of time creating a plan with your family can be a big help. Make sure your family understands how to keep in contact with one another whether it’s through a device or a designated meeting place. Plan for specific risks and make an easy-to-follow guide on what to do in each situation. Plan your emergency exits, including a plan for pets, and any special health needs and accommodations. By Insuring important aspects of your life like your home can also give you peace of mind in case important items are ruined. The more prepared your family can be, the better.
3. 72-hour Emergency Preparedness Kit
The Canadian government recommends having a 72-hour emergency survival kit in the event of a disaster. That way, you can grab the kit quickly while knowing you have the necessary supplies to survive. In the Canadian Safety Supplies 72-hour survival kit, your family will have access to:
- A 4–person emergency disaster kit
- Provides emergency food for 4 people for up to 72 hours
- 20 Liter Collapsible Water Container with Aquatabs Water Purification tablets included.
- Multipurpose emergency blankets keep you warm and provide shelter.
- Flashlight and light sticks take care of lighting.
- Includes personal toiletries such as toilet paper and tampons.
- First aid kit for treating bleeding wounds, cut and scrapes.
- High–quality nylon backpack with a Large multi-compartment system, includes
- Compartments for pens, keys, and cell phone and mesh water bottle pockets on each side.
All of these kit inclusions can help your family rest easy knowing that in an event of a disaster, grabbing this kit will provide them with safety.
Always be Prepared for an Emergency
Understanding the preventative measures of natural disasters is crucial in an everchanging world. It is common to believe that nothing bad would ever happen to you or your family, but it only takes one instance to put your lives in danger. Always have an emergency preparedness plan, and take the necessary steps to ensure that you can protect yourselves as much as possible in the event of a disaster.