12 Days of Christmas – Day 2
On the second day of Christmas Cayuga Mutual presents to you Steve’s favorite Five-Alarm Chili. This a great recipe that warms you from within—for those who can handle the heat!
1 pound ground chuck
2 medium onions, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 can chopped jalapenos (4 ounces)
2 (14-ounce) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 ts.p salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Grated Sharp Cheddar
Sliced Green Onions
1. Brown the ground chuck over medium heat in a Dutch oven.
2. Add the onions and green pepper and continue to cook until the meat is completely browned and the onions and peppers are tender.
3. Add garlic and jalapenos and cook until fragrant. Drain off any fat and discard.
4. Stir in tomatoes, beans chili powder and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low.
5. Simmer for 35 minutes. Season with ground black pepper. Garnish with toppings.
TIP: While five-alarm chili may be a culinary favourite you never want to have a five-alarm fire (or any for that matter.) Always make sure you have working smoke detectors on every floor of your home. Test them often to make sure they are working and replace them (or at least the batteries) if they aren’t working properly!
Speak with your Cayuga Mutual agent to get more tips and make sure you have all the proper coverages should the unthinkable happen.
From all of us
Have a Safe and Happy Holiday season.